Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 9: The Day of the Slaw

After last week's lunch with my mom, I had a hankering for some coleslaw. And while driving home from work, I saw that QFC had Rainier Cherries for $2.98 a pound!!! Score!! Anyway, that was awesome. And then I got the makings for coleslaw... But I have to make it with no mayo, oil, or sugar... Cue the thinking face!!! SO I took my grandmother's Overnight Coleslaw Recipe that I've had for years and adapted... Here it is:



Half of a sweet onion, grated
3 big carrots, grated
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 head green (or purple) cabbage, shredded
2 cups kale, chopped into SMALL pieces (I still haven't bonded with it)
Optional jalapeno pepper (I'm a wimp... and I accented with sriracha sauce at the end...)

Vinaigrette- I sort of just poured and tasted and hoped... but it was something like 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar, 1 TBS agave syrup, Sea Salt, and some water... The best way to do it is to warm everything up and pour it over. But I just used warm water. :) Then I mixed it well together and poured it over the top. I moved everything into a gallon ziplock to help with the marinating. Chill for a couple of hours.

I topped it with some cashews, peanuts, and hazelnuts. YUM!!!
And then, because I felt like I needed something "filling," especially after watching Chris eat chicken nuggets and tater tots, I thought "What would a coleslaw wrap taste like?" So I tried it! And it's YUMMY!!!! Warmed spelt tortilla, a little sriracha sauce (that would be the red on the side of the tortilla), and the coleslaw. DELICIOUS!!!!
Chris thinks I'm crazy... But I'm telling you, it's GOOD!! And I'm having more cherries with it... After having about half of a head of celery with some peanut butter earlier... Chris doesn't get how eating like this works, but I'm loving the fresh flavors!!!!

I get to plan tomorrow's food adventure... I'll be experimenting more with tea, and other than that, I don't know! Stay tuned in case I come up with something amazing!! Or terrible... Or at least something!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment