Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Ok, Day Three

I am officially on day three of a vegan, whole foods, plant based diet. I've noticed changes in how I feel already (minus the new things blooming that are flaring my allergies and the maintenance guys mowing the lawn at work triggering my asthma). I already knew that I liked oatmeal for breakfast. Now I love them. Quick oats, some flax meal, some nuts, and dehydrated fruit, with some coconut milk and agave syrup added after it is cooked. YUM! Though I've noticed that most commercially available dried fruits have both sugar and soybean oil... Luckily, my mom dehydrates fruit every year, so I'm getting some from her and mixing it in with the less-awesome stuff I have in my pantry. I've definitely bonded with quinoa, and have created some interesting and increasingly tasty dishes using it. Since I'm also cutting way back on oils, I've had to get used to cooking things without them... I use a short spray of Pam for tofu and then pan fry it. It cooks up fantastically!!! I've been cutting it into fun shapes (I like triangles!!!) to add visual interest. :)  Last night, I did quinoa (which I had cooked in vegetable stock previously) with tofu and edamame with some balsamic vinegar, topped with a balsamic glaze from Trader Joe's. It was DELICIOUS!!!! And filling.

My sugar cravings were bad yesterday. But I powered through. Frozen bananas with some semi-sweet mini chocolate chips helped the cravings. It didn't make it go away, but it made things more do-able. I'm looking forward to the cravings diminishing and my taste-buds getting used to a lower sweetness level. Meanwhile... I keep trying to power through. Tonight, I attacked the cravings with Rainier Cherries and my own Chocolate Coconut Milk!! It's really helping, and just has some cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and agave syrup blended with coconut milk. Not Darigold, but it's hitting the spot. I'm fighting through my soda cravings, too. Although those are not as easily fooled with coconut milk...

Amazing news: Since Sunday, I'm down 3 pounds. My mom is excited, since I'm still in "the age group where your body responds quickly, unlike the age group quickly approaching 62 that doesn't listen to much of anything you do". Chris and I are both excited about me shrinking. :) He loves me regardless, but we'd both like less of me to love!!! Hopefully this will jumpstart weightloss and change my food habits permanently, which will help keep the size of Sarah diminishing! I also think the anti-inflammatory benefits will be awesome. I'm looking forward to less joint and muscle pain. 

Tonight's dinner was not as tasty as I had hoped... It is an old standby, but without the meat. Turns out, it really needs the meat... Lentils just did not cut it!! But it was worth a shot. Tomorrow, I'm making some sort of dessert. Probably chocolate mousse with tofu... Or chocolate zucchini muffins. Or.... Lots of possibilities. Have to go to the store again, though. I am lacking some spices and COMPLETELY forgot to get peanut butter!!! How do you do that??? Some really yummy recipes coming up that require peanut butter... So to the store I go tomorrow!!! (Bless you, Central Market, Trader Joe's, and WinCo. You have basically everything I need!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment