Saturday, July 21, 2012

Halfway Through...

I am on day 14 of this new way of thinking about food. Amazing how time has flown!!! My old cravings have been replaced with cravings for flavors, for crisp fruits and veggies, for new combos that I've never thought of before!! I'd say that is successful right there!! Although when Chris had pizza the other night, the smell drove me a little crazy... but the sight of it grossed me out. I think that's PROGRESS!!

Tonight's experiment was a variation on the theme of veggies and noodles and peanut sauce... Because I woke up craving it!!!

I bought these rice noodles at Trader Joe's:





They are good, but get really sticky. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet, but I've only used them once before!! They come in a two-pack and stay fresh for awhile! Handy, but I'm not sure if I prefer them to the dried kind...





Anyway, I thawed some broccoli and edamame, reheated some tofu I made yesterday (cut into pieces, fried in a pan with just a small spray of Pam until brown and yummy), and got the noodles going (2 minutes in boiling water).

Doesn't that just look YUMMY????

After that, I mixed up a blend of rice vinegar, tamari, some salt, some peanut butter, and sriachi sauce. I added some agave syrup (a tiny amount) to balance things out.
Before I added that, I added the noodles and some of the water from boiling the noodles, then added the flavoring mixture. And stirred!!!!!

Looks bizarre, tastes pretty darn good!!!

And it made enough for two days of meals!!!! LEFTOVERS!!

And here it is! My dinner. Sweet, crispy, delicious bell pepper on the side. Chris wanted to know what on earth the square things were. :) I love many things about tofu, but the best is that it takes on the flavors that it is around it. In this case, deliciousness.

And I get to eat it again tomorrow. With even more flavor absorption. Sweetness!!


On the beverage side, I've fallen in love with some new teas. I needed an alternative to water and my craving for soda. I also needed a tea that was decaf so that I could drink it after noon... Central Market came to my rescue, again!!
My FAVORITE right now is the Meyer Lemon. I make it in a juice jar with a little bit of honey. It's good hot or cold and easy to get PLENTY of fluids in. The Strawberry Pomegranate is also good, though it doesn't ring my bell as much as the Lemon does (much to my surprise!!!!). 



My next challenge is to make a big batch of Overnight Oatmeal, from the amazing blog here.
My aunt is coming into town tonight and the Ladies in the family are having breakfast together out at Point No Point Lighthouse tomorrow morning. My grandma loves getting out in the outdoors, but that's a lot harder now that she's 92 and needs a walker to get around. My Aunt has always wanted to go to Point No Point since she was a child. Apparently, the news on the radio when she was young always reported the weather at Point No Point. She thought it was a silly name and wanted to see it. And now she gets to!!!!

So tonight I will measure out oats, coconut milk, and ground flax seed, and soak it all together overnight. Tomorrow, we'll add our choice of toppings in the glorious setting and (hopefully) glorious weather!!





More to come soon!! Especially on how the oatmeal worked... If it's good, then I know what I'm doing for breakfasts once work starts back up!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment